Monday, October 5, 2015

Miley Cyrus (10.3.2015)

Okay, here’s my review. Overall, this episode was a pretty middle of the road return. It wasn't necessarily as bad as I expected but it was a lot less inconsistent than the last two season premieres. Thankfully, they scaled back somewhat on using Miley as a host and put the focus more on the cast which might have made this her strongest SNL outing yet. Anyway, let’s get right down to it.

A Message From Donald And Melania - Taran did as serviceable a Trump impression as I was expecting from him. He nailed the facial expressions and had a good handle on the voice but he could improve it over time. I'd say the biggest problem with this cold open was that it was too Cecily heavy and it didn’t quite have an ending. Still, I did like the jabs at Megyn Kelly and the “smartest guys/one strand at a time” lines. C+

Monologue – This was better than it had any right to be. I do appreciate that they took the focus off of Miley and let the cast shine. I especially thought Vanessa, Sasheer, Kate, Bobby, Kyle and Aidy were used well here. Good way to sneak in Jost, Che, and Rudnitsky as well. B+

Abilify - This ad was clever enough even if Miley felt out of place. It was a decent way for SNL to get in their jabs at the sheer volume of GOP hopefuls still inexplicably in the race but it could've been shortened. C+

Homecoming 1955 - I was hoping for some kind of Back To The Future parody upon seeing a "Homecoming 1955" banner but instead we got some I'll conceived barely thought out piece that played off Mileys post Disney/Montana image. Thankfully, this was short but it reminded me too much of those self-serving sketches Timberlake did during the height of the Hader/Samberg/Wiig era. C-

Bar Talk - The Hillary Clinton cameo was all right. She did come off like a good sport and I did like how it strayed from the formula of the typical celebrity-makes-a-cameo-and-meets-their-impersonator sketch. Plus, it showed that Kate must've worked on her Hillary over the summer to bring it closer to the real deal. Darrell's brief blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo made the whole sketch for me. Otherwise, it kinda dragged in some spots but that's not really anyones' fault. C-

Update was pretty good. They did a good job of covering people and events that were notorious over the summer. The only thing that signified any real change from last season is how Jost seemed to have better jokes than Che. I’m also quite shocked they decided to go after Bernie Sanders that hard this early in the election cycle. Kyles' bizarre pope Francis impression made me laugh despite the fact that it went absolutely nowhere. Pete and Leslie turned in strong commentaries, but Pete looked more high than Miley and comparing Trump to Sanjaya seems more like something that would be in Seth’s wheelhouse. Still, he and Leslie both turned in strong commentaries. I'm surprised they did not give Jon Rudnitsky a commentary considering his stand up background. Oh well, I'm sure he'll get one in due time but kudos to him for getting so many parts in sketches (no matter how small) on his first show. B+

The Millenials  - This was probably the worst sketch of the night. It felt too derivative of that office intern sketch from last seasons' Dakota Johnson episode. Still, I have to hand it to Kate for having the least grating character in the whole thing. The only other thing I actually liked was when Kenan and Taran said "do it" to Jons' character by the window. D+

Katz’s Deli - This was pretty lame but it was probably the hardest I've laughed at Leslie in her entire tenure on the show so far. Still, they should've ended it right before Kate's appearance and the Dutch oven bit. C-

The Squad - This was a big swing and a miss. They pretty much just put "Beygency" and "Swiftamine" in a blender and let it meander on. This was yet another piece that could've benefitted from some trimming. C-

American Voices - That late night show sketch was one of the better live sketches of the night despite the technical glitches and miscues. It felt rather odd how it bled directly into the Good Neighbor short. Did this sketch originally have an ending that was cut for time or did they mean it to go right into the Good Neighbor short? C+

Miley Wedding Tape - Speaking of which, the new Good Neighbor short was fun. I liked seeing their surreal brand of strangeness on SNL again. I didn't think they needed to make a sequel to the Miley sex tape short from her previous hosting stint but this one managed to surpass the original. I especially liked how this ended with Kyle walking in on his own funeral with an elderly Miley playing one of his beats again. B+

Well, that defied all but one major expectation. Next week, Amy Schumer hosts. While I’m not a fan of hers, she is certainly more qualified than Miley to host the show at this point. Also, while I don’t pay attention to her Comedy Central show regularly I’ll admit the some of the more viral friendly stuff I’ve seen from her this past year has been quite good and this was good timing for SNL to get her hot off of her beating them for an Emmy. Still, there’s a chance this could be a weak show so I don’t know what to expect going into the show. I view her hosting the same way I viewed Kevin Hart hosting both times he did it. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment