Monday, October 12, 2015

Amy Schumer/The Weeknd (10.10.2015)

Okay, here’s my review. While this was an unexpectedly divisive and uneven show, I thought Schumer held her own as a host. She should’ve taken a page out of Miley’s notebook and gave the rest of the cast more opportunities to shine. While this episode wasn’t quite as enjoyable as last week, it had pretty much the same hit to miss ratio of sketches. At this point, I feel like it’s still a little too early to definitively say which of the two shows that have aired so far this season is better than the other. You’ll see what I mean soon enough.


FOX And Friends VIII - As much as they have run Fox & Friends into the ground in the past four years, this did seem like an appropriate time to bring it back. As usual, Bobby had the best lines with Pete coming in a close second. Kate seemed to have the hackiest lines but god bless her she did her damndest to sell them and she seemed to be channeling Phil Silvers and an SCTV Era Rick Moranis (see "The Lary Siegel Show"). B+

Monologue - While I'm not particularly a big fan of Schumers' comedy, I did enjoy the monologue. I liked the Kardashian/lava lamp/antibiotics bits. Good to see more stand up on SNL these days. B+

Delta - This sketch was fun at first and felt like on of SNLs' more creative and less completely predictable sketches in a long time. I particularly like Kenans reactions and Amy and Vanessa berating Taran. While this may have dragged just a hair in some spots, I also really appreciated how this sketch wasn't too one note and how they knew exactly where to end it. C+

Hot For Teacher 8 – This felt like something that could've been better if it were shortened and filmed instead of done live. I did like Aidy's lines an Amys various interactions with Vanessa. I also couldn't help but wonder who else I would've liked to have seen in Schumer role. C-

Guns - This commercial was some of the most subtle yet incredibly pointed social satire SNL has done in recent memory. Everyone's ridiculous uses of guns were funny. B+

Update was a lot of fun tonight. Che had a lot better jokes than Jost but good to Jost is still hitting his stride. Plus, the whole gun control debate was funny. I honestly think Jay's new character feels more like something Kyle would do than Kenan. In fact is looked to me like a cross between all of Kyle characters, Urkel, Nick Nolte and Boomhauer from King of the Hill. Still, it was something I did quite know what to make of. I liked seeing Kates foreign apartment lady again. It wasn't as good as her first appearance but I did really appreciate the Boulder shout out (being a CU alum and all). The only thing I could've done without was "The Weeknd Update." B+

Fords’ Theatre - This Lincoln Reenactment sketch was the first thing I couldn't get into all night. Schumer played it far too broad but I did like what Kyle bought to the sketch. D+

Selfie Stick - This sketch had potential but didn't seem to go anywhere with it. I did like Schumers' part, though. C-

City Council - This was pretty funny although it seemed odd for this to be Cecily and Leslie's first appearances all night. Kyle seemed to be channeling Ali G and about half of Fred Armisens characters. Amy seemed to just be playing the same character from the Toddlers and Tiaras parody she did on her own sketch show. Kenan character reminded me a lot of the Delicious Dish sketch from when Dana Carey hosted in 2000. Pete was funny and he reminded me of Farley and Sandlers' performances in that Nightline/Clinton sketch from when Nick Cage hosted in 1992. B-

Baby Shower – This was the only real dud of the night. It felt way too long and way too hammy on Amy and Cecilys' parts. D-


Well, that show was more or less a watered down version of what I was expecting. Next week, Tracy Morgan returns to his old stomping grounds to show the world he is well enough to try and make us laugh again. I have no idea what to expect from this show (how serious will it be, how often will Tracy participate in sketches, will they want/need to bring someone in the Fey/Poehler/Baldwin family of cameos in as a possible backup host) but I am cautiously optimistic. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment