Sunday, November 3, 2013

Kerry Washington/Eminem (11.2.2013)

Okay, here’s my review. I would say this episode was a strong contender for best of the season so far. For the first time in a long time, the writing felt fresh and relevant and the staff didn’t seem like they were relying on crutches and tired premises. Kerry Washington proved to be one of the most dynamic hosts the show has had in years. This episode might put the talk of SNL’s lack of diversity issue to rest…or it might just keep it going as people talk about how much more desperately the show needs a black actress with Kerry’s talent. Oh well, at least people will be talking differently about the show soon…which I guess is a good thing either way. Still, this episode could’ve used more airtime from certain new featured players but in the context of this particular episode, it’s understandable why they’d use people like Wells, Mooney, Beckett and Milheiser less. Anyway, here it is.

Cold Open – This was a perfect way for SNL to address its ongoing “lack of diversity” issue on air while still being funny, engaging and entertaining. Kerry Washington endeared herself well to the audience and proved to be an exciting host. I also liked there being an onscreen scroll and self-referential/self-deprecating humor as SNL hasn’t employed either of those in a long time. I also liked the “six Matthew McConagheys” gag with Bobby and Brooks playing two of them. Al Sharpton’s cameo felt quite useless, but other than that a solid opening. A-

Monologue – Kerry did a good job of maintaining her energy here. This was also a nice way to introduce Kerry to an audience who isn’t all that familiar with the show “Scandal”. Plus, it feels fresher and more relevant since SNL seems to be parodying the show while it’s under most people’s radar and hasn’t yet peaked in popularity. This seems like the first time in a LONG time they have successfully pulled that off. Vanessa and Kerry played well off each other and I liked her self-deprecating Miley/da club lines and Kenan’s absurd yet subtle performance made me laugh. B-

Career Week – It was good that they not only gave Nassim a lead off sketch at the top of the show, but also gave her the chance to showcase some rather dynamic performance skills we didn’t know she had. Although it got to be a bit much toward the last minute or so, it was okay. It didn’t feel as derivative as many of Nassim’s other sketches. Kerry was also a welcome addition, but O’Brien managed to bungle a role that seemed specifically designed to cater to him as a performer. Other than that, it wasn’t a terrible sketch. C-

How’s He Doing II? – I’m actually surprised that they’d recur THIS sketch from Maya Rudolph’s hosting stint (especially considering how lukewarmly it was received the first time) but considering this episode’s host, I should’ve seen it coming. Kerry was once again a real standout here. Her performance really shined considering the fact that they did rehash a lot of the same jokes. Still, I did like some of Jay’s lines like the ones about white people’s mail. In fact, I’d say I actually prefer this version of the sketch over the original. B+

What My Girl Say – For some reason, I was expecting SNL to do some sort of sketch based on the “What Does The Fox Say” video. Still, I was expecting it to be set in some kind of workplace much like they did with “Someone Like You” and “Gangnam Style” rather than a straight parody. They pulled it off just as well as they did “We Can’t Stop” and Kerry, Jay and Kate were fine in it, but the whole premise, again, seemed more geared toward MAD TV. If “The Fox” were a big hit about four or five years ago, I could easily see Keegan Micheal Key and Erica Ash doing it. Hell, I could see Aries Spears, Debra Wilson, Danielle Gaither or Jordan Peele doing this if it were out even earlier. If SNL wants to continue to venture into parody songs based on current hits, I think I’ll give them one more chance before I judge whether this venture is a success or not. B-

Miss Universe 2013 – This was very cute probably the best female cast showcase they’ve done in quite a while. Kerry, Kate, Nassim and Aidy each turned in their funniest performances of the night here. Vanessa and Noel were also great. Noel particularly made all she could out of her only appearance of the night. Strangely given the show’s supposed running theme and given the actual recent Miss America “controversy”, I was surprised at how little this sketch had to say about diversity issues. Still, I wouldn’t consider that a demerit. B+

Update was okay in terms of jokes. Not much seems to have changed with Cecily, but I did like her Kanye joke and Seth's vigilante joke. Kate as Chancellor Merkel was okay. She had the German accent down well and she was doing her damndest to sell the material, but it didn't really get funny until the Google lines. Kenan's Barkley is always welcome and he played off of Pharroh well as usual. He does do a fine Shaq and is really committing to it. They really had good lines to like the ones about groin spraining and neck injuries. Thankfully, they kept it from going on too long. C+

Cartoon Catchphrases - This game show sketch is pretty strange, but I like it. There may be a few too many conceptual layers to it and the joke almost got old, but it was pretty funny. It may have been a little too ambitious for its own good but it's nice to see the writers are still reaching for something. Also, Mike O'Brien continues to be an unremarkable sketch actor. B-

Fall Carnival - I don't think I should be surprised that they did another Principal Frye sketch in this particular episode, but even though they're usually pretty funny it does feel odd whenever they show up. Kerry is quite good and Jay is doing well here as is Kenan. B-

Date Or Diss - This seems like a sketch that they should've done 12 years ago (and even then it might've felt a little tired, but still less tired than poking fun at post 2000 era MTV in general) but the girls dark lines and Taran playing off them with mock horrified reactions made this sketch for me. Aidy and Kerry were really good here and I did like the “Bitch Apartment” still at the end. C+

Good Neighbor: Ice Cream - This short was a fun way to end the show. I liked the introspective vibe of it and it had a good ending. B-


Well, that was the show. In two weeks, Lady Gaga does double duty as host and musical guest. Based on some of her previous sketch appearances, I think she’ll be able to match Kerry’s level of energy but sadly, not her acting ability so I think this will be an interesting episode. I will watch with an open mind, but that shouldn’t take everything I have in me. I can kind of see some of the animosity toward her, but I can’t say that I share it with you. I’m not her biggest fan or anything; I’m just not inclined to viscerally hate her as much as some of you. See you then! Have a Happy Daylight Savings!

No comments:

Post a Comment