Saturday, October 26, 2013

Edward Norton/Janelle Monae (10.26.2013)

Okay, here’s my review. This show was probably the most inconsistent that this season has been so far. I hesitate to say it was all bad because there were a few moments here and there that I genuinely liked but not as much as the previous episode looking back. I’m tempted to say it was the worst of the season…so far. I do have a feeling that an episode worse than this one will come along sometime but I just don’t see this one holding up so well later on. Edward Norton proved to be pretty much game for anything as a host, but unfortunately he was very underutilized (much like most of the new featured players, sadly). It's funny that Norton explicitly said how much fun he head because I wasn't able to tell from watching this episode. Anyway, here we go.

Obamacare Website - This got a little funnier as it went along. I do like the list of alternative websites and outdated program references. I especially liked Bobby as the bat wielding IT guy. It was a little better than the standard dry political open they usually do. C+

Monologue - This method acting bit feels like Norton really ran one joke in the ground. Most of his punch lines I could see coming from 2 miles away. Good thing Baldwin was there to give him a shot in the arm. His impressions went well...wait, why the hell is Miley here twice in the same month? C+

Autumn's Eve - This commercial was okay. Pumpkin spice jokes are played out but this was a clever and edgy take on the recent phenomenon. I did like the Shamrock/Peppermint douche lines. C-

Elementary School - This sketch started off a little slow. Nassim has played this type of character before but this is a little more amusing of a variation. This is like an edgier Bedelia, kind of. When it seemed like it was gone be one joke, Bobby, Kenan, John and Noel started to save it with their great supporting lines. Kate was funny as the teacher as well. Still, Norton was good in his role even if it was interchangeable and could’ve been played by virtually any host. B-

Steve Harvey - This sketch went nowhere. It's not quite as funny when Kenan plays him as an oblivious idiot. D-

Wes Anderson Horror Film - This trailer felt like an unoriginal trope that still had unreached potential. The execution was fine but I was expecting a little something different in terms of impressions. Still, I did like Norton as Owen Wilson and Kate as Tilda Swinton. C+

Possums  - This sketch had kind of a similar feel. I could pretty much tell where it was going from the get go, but it was good to see Brooks get an actual acting part. He didn't blow me away, but he didn't disappoint me either. C-

Rain Man – This turned out to be better than I expected. Norton was pretty funny in it, but O'Brien seemed a little miscast. Still, it's at least nice that they're finding some ways to use him. C+

Update was okay. Cecily's delivery isn't slipping that bad, but she should work on developing her own comedic voice a little more. I realize second hand news is a tired one note bit, but for some reason Bobby gave me some genuine laughs with the way he tried to sell it. C-

12 Days Not A Slave – This sketch was pretty mediocre. I haven't yet seen "12 Days A Slave" nor am I that familiar with it, but I can already tell this isn't a very well written parody. Aidy had a good line but Jay doesn't quite have the acting chops to venture that far out of the impression zone just yet. The bit about white girls dancing like black men at the end (especially Miley's second cameo) seemed way too forced. D+

Restaurant Virgins - This sketch is one of the most pointless things I've ever seen. Another sketch with a predictable joke. Some of Norton, Cecily and Mike's movements were good (I did like Mike's bloomers bit) but otherwise this sketch just kinda dragged on. D-

Halloween - This sketch was okay. It did feel like a less funny version of Steve Buscemi's Christmas sketch from two years ago, but Bobby made me laugh in it and it was the funniest and most committed Edward Norton has been all night. C-

Well, that was it. Next week Kerry Washington hosts. My review of that show may not be “live” or even complete or as prompt as this one. See you next week.




No comments:

Post a Comment