Harry & Megan's Return Home
- Hmm...I was so preoccupied with how they would handle Andy Burnham sketches I completely forgot that a sketch about Meghan, Harry and the royals right now would probably make much more of an impact right now.
- I still like these Charles & Camilla impressions. Emma seems to have reigned hers in and toned hers down a bit while Larry has incorporated some C. Montgomery Burns into his King Charles?
- I guess Jack as Harry and Ayoade was an inevitable sight. I can't say I was that impressed by Jack's Harry (I don't think the real Harry is that gruff so I'm not sure what he was going for). I did like Ayoades' American accent, though. The PDA between the two of them felt like it went on a couple of beats too long, though.
- I did like Larry-as-Charles' line about being grateful that Harrys" father isn't still around to see what a waste he's become for the reaction it got. I'm guessing that must be a reference to some affair of Diana's (possibly Dodi Fayed?) and not just a joke about King Charles' possibly becoming senile in his old age and it being kept from the British public?
- Wait, that's...George Fouracres as new Prime Minister Andy Burnham? I thought Paddy was the one who was being groomed to take on that role? Did he not want it or was it taken from him at the last minute? Was this just done by the writers in service of their own (possibly one off) meta joke about there being "no difference" between Burnham and Starmer?
- Ah, I shouldn't complain or nitpick too much. George Fouracres may be my favorite member of this cast. He pretty much saved this sketch and I'm glad to see he still gets to keep his position as SNL UKs' PM impersonator.
- Seriously though, I was wondering what they're take on Burnham as a person and a politician would be...since he's only been in office a couple of months now and may not have done much of note. I'm a bit surprised that the shows' take isn't just that they hate Burnham because the English people have always hated all their prime ministers except for Winston Churchill.
- Rather, their take seems to be that Burnham tries too hard to be seen as a "relatable" British guy from your average northern everything when there's enough evidence out there to refute that claim...and that Harry and Meghan Markle may be the only ones dumb enough to buy that crap.
- I mean, even George himself must find Andy Burnham pretty damn relatable since it sounds like he's mostly just using his own voice and accent to play him.
- I actually got a chuckle out of the "Makerfield? Maybe I'll make a field!" joke. This cold open got off to a bit of a shaky start but had a strong finish. B+
Montage
- I like this new intro. They sure injected a whole lot more color and life into it.
- I've seen someone say this reminds them of the SNL season 32 intro. I'd say the SNL UK Series One intro is more reminiscent of seasons 32-34 SNL US. To me, the SNL Series Two intro is more reminiscent of the SNL seasons 35-37 intro.
- It also reminds me a lot of the season 14/15 and season 21 SNL US intros in that there's brief shots of the cast interacting with each other in certain shots (which I guess the SNL US season 32-34 intro might have as well, so there's that).
Monologue
- Is it just me or does Jeff Goldblum now sound a lot like a cross between Alan Alda and Elon Golds' impression of him from the Dana Carvey show at this point?
- Wasn't expecting a smooth jazzy musical number from Jeff, but it's charming enough. I'm OK with it, forced cockney Britishisms and all.
- Hell, I'm even getting slight Walken vibes from it. Even in general, this whole thing feels like a 1995-2002 era SNL US musical monologue with a modern intro. Is this supposed to be a parody of "My Way" or "Mac Tonight" because it sounds like a cross between both.
- Even the seemingly obligatory Jurassic Park callback was fun. Nice way to work in CMAT (who sounds like they couldn't get Ella Langley or Chappell Roan so they went with her non union British equivalent). B-
Gregor J. Dupont: Professional Baby
- This is already making my night. I'm ecstatic that we're getting another absurdist pretape with an original George Fouracres character.
- So, this character hs basically a cross between Peter Serafinowicz's "Brian Butterfield" and Jon Lovitzs' "Master Thespian"? It's still very fun. I'm not complaining.
- The highlights of this for me were the haunting, ghostly playtime/sleepy time noises, the line running and union rule that he doesn't have to play a baby after 6pm and the sea chanting.
- Who were the ones playing Larry & Ayoades' partners in their uniformly negative testimonials? Were they writers or extras?
- I also liked the added absurdity of Jeff playing George's father who is also a working actor and does a similar gig to his son as a professional ending.
- I also thought that Emma videotaping George's play as if he actually were her son was the best possible ending this could've had. A+
Invisible Friends
- Strange that they're essentially doing two sketches in a row with male cast members playing children, but OK. I'm not mad, but it's certainly a choice. Jeff playing this role as basically himself was a nice touch that didn't steal focus from the rest of this sketch.
- I do like that this escalates beyond just Als' initial "WTF is this grown ass man doing in my child's bedroom reaction" into Celeste knowing Jeffs' character, Hammed as an "invisibility maintenance man" repairing the entire "invisibility network" that went down and Als' character having his own "invisible friend" who's basically just Annabel in a blatant sexpot role that probably would've gone to Emma is this were last season (which shows just how much range Annabel has since she handles this just as well).
- I even got a kick out of the Twilight Zone-esque twist of Al's entire family being "invisible". Decent first appearance from Freddie. B+
Cyrano De Goldblum
- Nice that they're essentially giving Freddie his first showcase sketch in his first episode (but boy does that line about him being "five sad wanks away from a trip to the gun store hit hard in 2026...especially coming from a British show).
- I do like the twist that Annabels' character is some how responding positively at first and then reasonably concerned with her responses to Freddie's statement before catching on to what's happening. That's a nice counter to the very predictable premise of Freddie repeating Jeffs' exact words and directions in the most literal verbal way possible, even interpreting directions of physical actions as lines to repeat.
- I also liked the gag of Freddie basically narrating Jeffs' mugging and police encounter followed by Annabels' character recognizing Jeff from "Cats And Dogs" of all things.
- Speaking of Jeff...did he just flub a line or miss a cue? Did Freddie or Annabel miss a cue? What the hell happened there exactly that botched that ending? B+
The Piano
- Is this a parody of an actual British reality show? I think it must be if it has so many impressions of specific British celebrities (and I'm guessing Ayoade is playing a real British musician as well?)
- Speaking of impressions, I liked getting to see Celestes' Claudia Winkleman again and Jack Sheps' Mika wasn't as much of a demerit against this sketch as I was thinking it would be. He and Ayoade bought a nice sinister, blithely cynical energy to this that helped sell it.
- If this is a real show, I'm guessing either tightly controlled public reactions may be part of the gimmick behind it (like with all reality shows) but the gag may be "what if this got the worst reactions possible that all just centered on peoples' real airport hassles?"
- Ah, I shouldn't overanalyze this sketch. I don't need all this background info to get what it's going for.
- Is Annabel just playing the same generic drunk bridesmaid she played in the Paddington pretape from Tina Feys' episode?
- Somehow I knew this would include some out of nowhere vomiting. Nice breakdancing from Freddie angrily reacting to all the flights being canceled flight from Larry.
- This feels like it was modeled after a specific late 2010s/early 2020s type of SNL US pretape (the one with Nate Bargatze as a golfer comes to mind for some reason...I'm sure there's several others that parodied various types of US reality competition shows that I'm forgetting).
- Most importantly, this felt like SNL UK attempting their own version of "Farewell, Mr. Bunting" or any of the several gratuitous gore heavy Sarah Sherman pretapes SNL US has given us in recent years (except the SNL UK writers know how to reign it in properly and contain the comedic value of it as tightly as possible).
- My only question would be how that bomb detonation would kill Jeffs' character but only leave Celeste covered in dust but otherwise unharmed? B-
Yoga Class
- Nice to see them give Celeste Dring a character showcase of her own. I'm getting slight "David S. Pumpkins by way of Kate McKinnon/Kristen Wiig character choices and Chloe Finemans' accent work" vibes from this but I don't even mind. Freddie was a nice addition.
- Boy, I sure wanted to like this sketch more but it seemed to be entirely based around Celeste doing the worst Swedish accent you've ever heard. Besides that, it didn't escalate or go anywhere and that nothing else was...paht oof eeet. Still, I wouldn't go as far as to say that James Longman or whoever else us charge of picking which sketches go in the live rundown "dahn't dew eet" to this one.
- I did like her urging her yoga Class to help her move a family of three into a new house and the ending reveal that the whole things was a ploy to get Jeff to fix his own neck crick by turning his head. C-
Weekend Update w/Paddy & Ania
- Paddys' Best Jokes: England Till I Die, Protest Leader, Trump Punchline Taken By Legal Team, Sanctions, Monty Gone (such a Norm MacDonald ass joke), State Funeral
- Anias' Best Jokes: Migrant Protests, Trumps New Hair?, Nigel Farage, Eaton College, German AfD win
- Boy, these migrants protest jokes are more of the type of jokes that I only kind of understand if I process them as "these are the type of jokes Jost & Che might tell about Jan 6 protestors".
- Paddys' mustache looks to be a bit...wispier than it was a few months ago. So, it looks like he shaved over the summer for nothing...and may have been so bummed about losing out on a certain role that he hasn't shaved since?
- You know, as recently as July I was starting to see Paddy Young as basically England's answer to Colin Jost (both SNL Weekend Update anchors who each have to sit through the same female castmate playfully roast them at the desk) but I'm starting to see more parallels between Paddy and...David Spade circa October 1992.
- I bring that up here because I bought it up on a certain podcast that was recorded on the Friday before this episode aired live which...at this point, I think might get edited out, so...we'll see.
- So, Emmas' French maid is basically an exact cross between her "woman who can't be ignored" and Nora Dunns' "Babette the French sex kitten" from 40 years ago? Also, did this character start with Emma figuring out how to do an impression of Ayoade and get turned into something else?
- Ah, I'm not mad at this character. I mean, the premise of "French maid who's bad at cleaning but good at sex appeal" is a bit hack but she added some charm to it. B-
Bi King Kong
- PLEASE tell me that's at least Larry in that gorilla suit. This seems like a cross between two specific sketches from Jack Whitehalls episode but done in a fashion that belabors it's own point at first glance because there's only so much work they can do with inconsistently sized props and setpieces in one live sketch.
- Even if the giant nose ring felt like a big cheap laugh, this had a few small things going for it. For instance, having Jeff Goldblum essentially play himself dovetailed nicely with this conceptually and broadcasting this in 4:3 aspect ratio was a nice touch.
- Nice transatlantic accents from Al & George especially. Their performances really helped put this over. Jack seemed to be struggling a bit with his, but the moment where Al accidentally knocked his hat off might have accidentally been the funniest part of this. D+
Yet Another 45 Seconds With Fouracres
- Boy, am I glad to see this back!
- Nice that he's branching out from songs but still finding ways to incorporate fenale guest cameos in this. I guess he felt another song might have been redundant since this already featured tonight's musical guest anyway.
- I didn't even mind that it was basically another Star Wars parody since it ended in a sprawling light saber battle that was fun to watch with a sudden ending that rendered it unnecessary the whole time. B-
Now, this would normally be the point where I rank this episode among the others of its respective season so far, but I can never really do that for a series premiere obviously, so since SNL UKs' previous series was eight episodes I'd like to rank the entire run of this show as a whole...
Ranking Each SNL UK Episode From Best To Worst
- Jamie Dornan/Wolf Alice (03.28.2026)
- Hannah Waddingham/Myles Smith (05.09.2026)
- Ncuti Gatwa/Holly Humberstone (05.16.2026)
- Tina Fey/Wet Leg (03.21.2026)
- Jeff Goldblum/CMAT (09.12.2026)
- Nicola Coughlan/Foo Fighters (04.25.2026)
- Riz Ahmed/Kasabian (04.05.2026)
- Aimee Lou Wood/MEEK (05.02.2026)
- Jack Whitehall/Jorja Smith (04.11.2026)
Overall Thoughts
- This was an episode that started out pretty strong, lost minimal steam at the end but remained consistently entertaining through.
- SNLs' season premieres usually have this "shaking off the rust and cobwebs" feeling to them as they get themselves back into the weekly grind, but even SNL UKs version of that shows a lot more effort and creativity.
- Jeff Goldblum was...basically Jeff Goldblum but still, he proved himself to be a host that the cast and writers easily worked with as they quickly figured out how to cleverly worked into the show rather than having to work around.
- Aside from another noticable lack of Hammed and a reigned in Jack, cast usage was pretty strong for everyone. Celeste and Annabel might have had the best nights they've had in the entire run of the show and they actually gave some substantial airtime to Freddie Meredith...their newest cast member. I sure wish SNL US could do this as well.
Closing Thoughts
- Well, that was fun. Next week, Jamie Demetriou hosts SNL UK. He's another one of those actors I can't say I've seen in anything but I'm sure he'll blend right in with the cast and this will be a strong show.
- I'll have a review of that posted on this blog by this time next week. Around that same time, I will have recorded the next episode of We Heart Hader reviewing the Shia Labouef/My Morning Jacket season 33 episode of SNL US which I will have a review of on my blog roughly the week after that when that podcast episode is released. See you again soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment