Sunday, February 14, 2016

Melissa McCarthy/Kanye West (2.13.2016)

Okay, here’s my review. This episode was mostly a pleasant surprised considering how low my expectations were considering who was hosting. I think the strong writing streak this season has been on has helped. The show in its current state seemed to know how to better play to Melissa McCarthys’ strengths as a performer rather than expose her weaknesses. She didn’t seem to be willing to or allowed to go as broad or as hammy as she was previously. Again, the writing wasn’t terrible (and it hasn’t been for most of the season) but her performances this week didn’t seem to be an effort to hide it if it was. Other than that, this show was pretty unremarkable but not in a bad way. Anyway, let’s get to it.

Hilary Can’t Make You Love Her - That cold open seriously lacked structure and seemed like it was going on forever. The only real laughs I got was Darrells' requisite Bubba cameo. Becks' Jeb was just okay. Kudos to Kate for performing the hell out of this. This reminded me too much of the cold open from the Louis CK finale last year. It seemed like something that would be better on paper than in execution. It seems more suited for some comic live tweeting a debate than a fully fleshed out sketch. C+

Monologue - This got off to a rather slow start but Kenan came right in and saved it. He was the only laugh I got out of this. C+

The Day Beyonce Turned Black - This was the best taped piece of the night so far. It was well written topical satire and Beck/Bobby, Leslie and Jay got a lot of laughs. B+

Cul-De-Sac Test Screening - This sketch seemed like a thinly veiled rewrite of the Hidden Valley Ranch sketch from Melissa first outing but she performed it well and I have to say this might be my favorite thing Melissa has ever done on SNL. I especially liked her ripping Petes shirt off and Leslies' reaction to her pushing herself. C+

Family Movie Night - This sketch was the best live sketch of the night. All of Pete and Bobbys' lines cracked me up. It reminded me of Petes' stand up quite a bit. A-

Update was really fun tonight. The only thing I didn't really like was Josts' bit on Ted Cruz but all the debates/Beyonce outrage stuff was great. Vanessa still does a great Jennifer Aniston but this Update bit seemed to go nowhere. I did like all the establishing shots and Ches' "no black people on Friends" joke. As a Colorado native, it was fun seeing Von Miller cameo even though he kinda stumbled over his lines and the bit felt too short and repetitive. It feels a little soon to bring Leslie back to the update desk but I did like this better than her Leo/Revenant commentary especially the "dirty talk” line. B-

Pickup Artist - I liked this sketch and Melissa brutally putting down Kyle and Kenan while Leslie struggled not to break was hilarious but I still feel like something about the sketch was a misfire. The premise of a female pickup artist seemed like it was going to be a premise all its own. I'm not sure why they needed to add on the extra layer of Melissa being awkward but hey, it worked. B-

Kyle vs Kanye – This short film was also quite good (I might have spoken too soon about the best filmed piece of the night). I did like Kyle describing SNL as being the main hardship he has had to face during his "rap career." His back and forth with Beck was good and Kanye was a good sport to be in this. Still, his appearance in this piece, while not bad, still bugged the hell out of me. While "I Miss The Old Kanye" wasn't bad and fit the in perfectly with the bit, I still have a hard time separating the asshole artist from his asshole art. B-

Bus - This sketch was pretty one note but god bless Leslie, Taran, Beck and Melissa for trying. I did like the Speed twist ending though. C-

Whiskers R We IV – This was something I didn't expect them to recur but probably should've seeing as how she was a perfect foil to Kate here. I did like the Twitter box/Tabitha/condoms/Mrs. Doubtfire lines. C+

Now, my updated rankings for this season…

1. Larry David/The 1975
2. Tracy Morgan/Demi Lovato
3. Elizabeth Banks/Disclosure with Lorde & Sam Smith
4. Tina Fey & Amy Poehler/Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
5. Ryan Gosling/Leon Bridges
6. Melissa McCarthy/Kanye West
7. Chris Hemsworth/Chance The Rapper
8. Adam Driver/Chris Stapleton
9. Donald Trump/Sia
10. Miley Cyrus
11. Matthew McConaughey/Adele
12. Ronda Rousey/Selena Gomez
13. Amy Schumer/The Weeknd

Well, that was that. Next month, Jonah Hill returns to host for his fourth time. He is truly an odd choice as he seems to not have anything to promote and doesn’t leave much of an impression as a host. Actually, it’s a little more strange that he is hosting for his fourth time rather than hosting in March 2016. Oh well. I would expect that show to be on the exact same level of quality as this one. See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment