Saturday, January 19, 2013

Louis C.K./fun.(11.3.2012)

Okay, here’s my review. I would say this episode would be a contender for possible best of the season, but that would be more because of how it was carried by the host’s presence rather than the material itself. There were only about two or three memorable things he was in. It seemed like once again, they were afraid to let a distinctive stand up host have too much creative control over the show and they were afraid to give him their best material, so they just front loaded the show with some of their standard trunk bits. Still, Louie didn’t disappoint as a host and certainly wasn’t afraid to bring HIS A-game. It certainly felt like he poured his heart out to the audience even if the monologue and email he sent before the show weren’t proof enough of that. Still, the cast could’ve been more balanced in terms of airtime. Some people would argue that they deserve all the credit that’s due for even putting on a show at all in the wake of the biggest storm to hit the east coast and I wouldn’t necessarily argue with them. This show turned out great under any circumstances. Anyway, let’s just get right to the show.

Hurricane Sandy Press Conference - I was a little disappointed that they would center another cold open on Armisen's lame Bloomberg impression, but Cecily, Bobby and Nassim made it worth watching. I liked Cecily’s bits revolving around first responders and Obama’s motorcade and I liked both Cecily and Nassim both sticking out their ears to sign “Obama”. Bobby Moynihan still isn't very good with impressions, but at least he made his Chris Christie funny (granted, he's playing Christie kind of as a more subdued Snooki, but still). We could’ve done without the message to Spanish speakers, though as it wasn’t very funny. Apparently, this sketch severely offended at least two deaf people on nbc.com. I think they missed the entire point of the sketch. I wouldn’t be surprised if this sketch sparked some form of protests from the deaf support community on Monday, but then again I’d be even MORE surprised if it actually did. B+


Monologue - This was great. In fact, I’d say it was the best live segment on the show. I'm glad Louie got through a whole set without going f-bomb or s-bomb. I was impressed that he could still also be funny because that must've still been pretty restricting for him. I'm also impressed that he was able to mine some comedy out of what was essentially a moment of tender humanity in a dire situation, but he always does that in his act. A-


FOX and Friends V – This parody was another rather forgettable one, but Bobby was pretty funny in it. I like how he's playing Brian Kilmeade as more cartoonishly dumb. I particularly like his lines about the WNBA and piranhas with AIDS. Sudekis as Trump wasn't as accurate as Hammond's but it is funnier and a better impression than his Chris Matthews. He had some funny lines about Obama texting fictional supervillans having a charity that pays kids to throw garbage at Rosie O’Donnell. Also, Louie played a good straight man here. B-


Lincoln - This was possibly the best segment of the night. I'm glad they could execute so well what seemed like such a silly, simple premise. Good to see Aidy also get such a substantial role. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if Louie himself didn't pitch this he at least directed it. Maybe Seth wrote this as sort of a tongue in cheek jab at Colin Quinn's suggestions. I have to say; maybe Seth was listening to Louis’ “Chewed Up” album when he wrote this because the fake stand up bit about slavery sounds awfully close to his “being white” album from that one. B+


Australian Screen Legends – This was something I felt really stupid about laughing so much at, but I just couldn't help myself. Only Hader, McKinnon and Louie could really pull this off successfully, so they did cast this well. It was certainly preferable to another tired TCM classics parody with Sudekis’s Robert Osborne. Still, it doesn’t seem to hold up on repeat viewings. B-


Update was forgettable in terms of Seth's jokes although I admit I liked his Sandusky effigy line. Jason's Mitt Romney was just serviceable here with a few good lines, but nothing that stood out too much. I liked Aidy getting another lead role and it was funny, but still pretty unoriginal and derivative. She performed it well, even if it went on a bit too long. I did like her "internet is real" line at the end. I liked seeing Cecily's party girl the first time during the Thursday special, but I hope they don't just run it into the ground and let it settle into a predictable pattern. Still, I appreciate seeing more relatable human condition humor like this on SNL these days. C+


Mountain Pass - I'm guessing this sketch is the one Louie said he was humiliated by on Fallon. He is wearing a ridiculous enough costume and kind of half-assing his lines, even stumbling over some of them. Still, Bill and Bobby added funny bits to it. I laughed at Hader’s “Zezus Jeist” line. Actually, it kind of reminded me too much of that stupid witches' brew sketch from Cameron Diaz's first show in '98. C-


Hotel Fees - This sketch, like the last one doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but Louis added something and Bobby played a good straight man. I did like the noble gas, stuffed bobcat, entertainment charge and tax advisor bits. It looks like they obviously had fun with it at the end. B-


Last Call - That was pretty fun to watch. It felt like one of Louie's stand up routines translated into a sketch. I'd say it was Kates’ best performance of the year so far (and definitely her most committed one). I was especially liked how they acted like they were absolutely amazed that they had nothing in common and Kenan’s facial expression during the kiss. I also liked Kenan spray painting the window at the end saying “I don’t wanna know how that pans out.” A-


Well, that was another show that exactly met my expectations. I’m sure Anne Hathaway will do the same next week. See ya then!

No comments:

Post a Comment